Brexton has been sent off to Vitoria, Brazil for his LDS mission.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday January 6th, 2014

So Happy New Year!!!!!! I wont go home this year but I will the next! 
BUT that's not what I'm focused on so don't worry and the time is flying by. So this week, honestly not too much happened. We did a lot of walking and we met with a lot of less actives this week. Jus happened to be how it worked out. But it was really cool and all in all was a good week but I don't remember much of what happened. We are teaching this family and they are so cool. It's a mom and 3 daughters and they are so receptive to the gospel. Yesterday we taught her about the \word of Wisdom and she had 4 bottles of wine in the fridge. (I knew because we had lunch there yesterday and went in the fridge to get soda) and so we invited her to live th word of wisdom and to give her wine away. She was like " okay, no problem." It was just super nice and cool how easily she accepted it. THe gospel is changing her life and her kids life too. THey are an incredible family. Her fiance is from bulgaria and he knows 7 languages. It's crazy and we still haven't met him because he is living in bulgaria until march but a lot of people here know more than one language but also a lot don't.
So that's pretty much all I remember about the last week...yeah I know I should remember more but I don't. But I do remember the things I learned this week.

Patience
I have had to learn a lot about patience and I'm definitely still learning. I have had so many trials this week and I could have done better but I still think It went pretty well. So the first is a member that I told you about last monday. So things got worse and we had to visit her again monday night and then spent all day with her tuesday and then she was taken to the crazy hospital and got back yesterday and things were still spiralling out of control and she keeps coming to us as missionaries which is okay but she is using us for everything and those first 2 days we got nothing done and we lost an investigator. Last night wasn't as bad because first she called a member of the ward and he took us there because actually I don't know why but I'm hoping everything works out for her. The other is an Elder in our district who clearly doesn't like me because he has 1.5 years and I have 5 months and I'm distrct leader. Soooo yeah that is a ton of fun but its going. But that is all about patience and what I'm trying to work on.
Okay}
Priesthood
We have blessed so many people this last week, it has truely been a testimony builder and an honor to use the priesthood to bless so many children of God. We have been able to help so many people and a majority of them are members but it is incredible. When you use the priesthood you have the spirit with you in more abundance. Something that everyone know but not everyone does. It's like listening to the promptings of the spirit and you recieve more.

Look forward and believe
This talk is amazing and I don't know if that is what it is called in english. its "Olhar para frente e acreditar" in portuguese and its by Elder Dube (I think that's his name) but it's a super great talk and you should read it. (I know you already did because you sent me a quote once but I'm talking about everyone else who reads this) I really love the quote that its not as important the things you've already done but more important where you are willing to go in the eyes of the Lord. Because you could have done some huge miracle but if you start breaking the commandments you will lose everything you gained. It's like if your winning in a sport and you think you can take it easy because you are winning. That is when the tide turns. I used to have a quote about this but I don't remember what it is. But don't forget to read conference because it is scripture as well for us in our day. Today. So try to read like one a week or something.
Enos
Prayer. My soul hungered. (I think that is what is says in english) but prayer is so important. I know you already know it but I learned it this week because I keep letting my prayers slip. I've had those prayers guided by the spirit and they are amazing but it is something we should always do and not do a couple times and forget to strive for it. That is what I have been doing forgetting to strive for it. Prayer is a sacred moment between you and Our Heavenly Father. It's as if you are literally there in fron of Him talking. Trust me He is listening and He hears our prayers.
Anyways that's a little summary of some of the things I have learned this week. But the last thing Is in Preach my Gospel chapter 6. Mom you have to read this chapter and study it and do the little test at the end. This is something that isn't just for missionaries but for every one. Literally everyone. Christ-like attributes. I'm really trying to focus on the character of Christ more. Elder Bednar quoted Elder MAxwell one time and he said " There could have been no atonement without the character of Christ." This is a quote that I really, really like because it makes you think.


N all reality Elder Maxwell reminds me of dad and I think he would really like reading some of the things elder Maxwell wrote.I think he would really like Jesus the Christ too. It is a book that I really think he would like.
But all is well and I love and miss you all and can't wait for the day I can hug you all again!
Love,
 Elder Simonsen

No comments:

Post a Comment